6/22/2005

THE PAST EMBRACE, UNABRIDGED

When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the stage believing that I was forever leaving a piece of my life behind. My ego was the size of, um, something really big. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that no one would dare purchase the record, no matter how much "indie cred" I tried to pack it with. Remember me grumbling about who was on the charts? The Britneys of the world? How I couldn't compete anymore? I was going to work around it. Yeah, well screw that. I'm gonna even try to grow my hair again.

Once Sharon Osbourne dropped us from her "client list", I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. So I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking for. I found that my heart is in Chicago (The Future Embrace is available at a ton of record stores here, today, coincidentally), and that my heart is in the Smashing Pumpkins--also known as Jimmy, the former-druggie drummer we kicked out and said would never be back in the band again; and D'Arcy the painfully misguided bassist who is "blessed" with a first name that no self-respecting American of the last 189 years would call their child; and, the guy who wants to be a model, or at least wants to fuck one, James Iha, who now spends his nights galloping down Ludlow St. with his arms positioned at his side like two geese. I know every interview I've done over the last year has trashed D'Arcy and James, but they are even less famous than I am at this point, so I know they'll do it.

For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. The secret is I had no real flashy way of promoting The Future Embrace other than playing on our collective need for nostalgia. This letter is the BOMBSHELL I need to drop at the exact moment to get the spotlight back on myself. Get it? On the day that The Future Embrace comes out, I will also Embrace the Past. Trippy, huh?

Soooo, anyway, bear with my sucky solo stuff for another album or two, and my online life story, and then, whoooo boy, at some point, I get to be a real star again, which is what all this is really about. I sat around last week watching the Coldplays and the White Stripes and I thought who are these weird fuckers getting all the attention and selling a shitload of records, and I'm just putting one out that will ensure me nothing other than table scraps? Two more things: Chicago-- Have you heard of an Italian dish known as pizza? Well, if so, please come over to my house at 7 to eat some and celebrate. And buy a copy of my record. And everyone else? I am getting married to Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.

No comments: